Daddy & me

Daddy & me

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Relationship Reflection

Relationships/Partnerships are important to me because it is a way to gather information about the children in the program.  Information that I gather helps me plan and strategize my lesson plans and teaching style with each child.  I recently had a conversation with the mother of Andriana, who is speech delayed.  I told her that Andriana speech has not improved over the last two months since her meeting with Babies Can’t Wait.  Babies Can’t Wait is an organization that handles children with a speech deficit.  I wanted to talk to her because Babies Can’t Wait told the mother to give Andriana a couple of months to see if she improved.  Andriana’s mother enlightened me to the fact that at home Andriana was using her words more they were better able to understand what she was saying.  Her progress at home was a surprise to me and my co-teacher.  The two of us now had to figure out how to get Andriana to use her language in the classroom.  This conversation was very important to this child’s development and success and created a challenge for me as a teacher.
 I have several professional relationships with people in different functions in Early Childhood Education.  My relationships with the family advocates proves to be one of the most important relationships that I have.  The family advocates work very closely with the families.  They provide me with important information about the children in my program and I also provide them with information.  My relationship with the Director and Executive Director serves me well in that they provide information about things that are happening in the agency and events and activities that are in the planning mode for the families.
I am challenged with maintaining a partnership with a few of my families.  Mainly because they do not drop-off or pick-up their children so we do not make contact with each other daily.  What I do to stay in contact with them is periodically call and let them know how their children are doing and advise if there are any problems.
Each of these relationships helps me be a better teacher.  Information is powerful especially when you are teaching.  I think I am helpful to the professionals  that  I have a relationship with in that I bring suggestions, knowledge and encouragement to the table.

4 comments:

  1. By building a positive realtionship and keeping communication open with Adrianna's mother, it provided you with the information needed to find ways to help Andrianna to speak more in the classroom. This is an example of a way to stay connected with a family member. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe as educators that we must be able to have a relationship with the child and the family in order to determine goals for the child. The parent is the first teacher in their lives and we are the second and to collaborate together is spectacular. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is important to learn each child in your class on a different level so you know how to relate to them. This way when you form lesson plans you are able to tweak or make minor adjustments for each child that may suit them best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about when parneship is gathering informaton abot children in the program. I also agree wih you it is hard trying t partnersip wth amilis that don't come in to see the teacher or to see how their child ispogressing in the program.

    ReplyDelete