Daddy & me

Daddy & me

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Birthing

My only experience with birthing was my own. In 1991 I went into premature labor at 26 weeks of pregnancy. I was visiting New York, my mother and was taken to the hospital. My obstetrician deemed my pregnancy hi-risk and had a procedure called a cerclage which assisted in my womb remaining closed. It was decided after about 6 hours of trying to stop labor that they were going to deliver my son by c-section. I was given an epidural for pain. I was taken to an operating room where the delivery was performed.  My mother was present with me.  My son was born at 1lb 4 oz. He remained in the hospital for approximately 4 months until he reached 5lbs and I was hospitalized for approximately 3 days. I was told by doctors that my son may have a host of problems due to the early delivery. The only problem he had was respiratory problems when he had a cold up until he was approximately 5 years old. He is smart and healthy 19 year old today. Due to the circumstances regarding my child's birth I am very pro hospital and doctor delivering babies. If I were in another country the out come regarding my child's birth may have been tragic. Even with a full term delivery so many things can and do go wrong. Having trained professional decreases tragic outcomes.

I researched two countries birthing procedures and found that I am happy I live in the United States. In the Netherlands pregnant woman don't see obstetricians but instead are referred to midwife. Doctors only intervene in high risk Case or if complications arise during delivery. Dutch woman decide whether they will deliver and home or at a hospital and more than half of them choose home delivery. The pregnant woman is responsible for obtaining medical supplies necessary for home birth it is called Kraampakket. Epidurals are rarely given. If given it would be because an anaesthesiologist schedule permitted administration of such. If a mother gives birth early in the day at a hospital she and baby may go home in as little as two hours. Then a system called Kraamhulp maternity home care is put in place. For seven days a nurse would visit the house and tended to medical needs as well cleans, cooks and provides basic parenting skills.

In Germany woman also see midwives for their prenatal care. It is a law that a midwife must be present at every birth and a doctor is optional. A local custom parents must choose child's name from an approved government list. Any exceptions must be approved. The reason for the policy is an effort to thwart potential ridicule of a child with a name that is too different.

In Japan women strive to give birth without the use of pain killers. It relates to the Buddhist perception of suffering: Labor pains act as a kind of test that a woman must endure in preparation for the challenging role of motherhood. Japanese women deliver in hospitals. The baby's father is only allowed in the delivery room if he has taken prenatal classes with the mother. If a c-section is performed the father must wait in the waiting room. After leaving the hospital mother and baby traditionally stay with the mother's parents for months or sometimes longer. The new mother must stay in bed for 21 days. During this time mother and baby are visited by friends and eat a celebratory food Osekihan (red rice and red beans).


My birthing experience was very different from these other countries in that a doctor was present during my delivery and it was done at a hospital.  I was given the option of an epidural.  My baby had the best care because a doctor tended to him and the complications were minimized.  My mother's presents was soothing for me during this stressful time and my recovery time was minimal.

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Hello Fawn,
    I bet that your son is a miracle baby to you! I know I think that he is. I have read that most babies do not survive if they are born before 27 weeks gestation. I think that you are very lucky that your son came out so well and with very little health issues since. Congrats on your healthy 19 year old son and I agree that we are very lucky to live in the United States. There are many issues, but I agree that we are living in the best country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Fawn,
    I enjoyed reading your posting, and it was nice to read about how other culture deliver their babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fawn,

    You are very fortunate to have the doctors who were able to help your son over the times he was in the hospital and to bring him to a healthy weight to be able to return home.

    I think it is great that you researched a few different country. I found it especially interesting that in Japan they do not use pain medications.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Fawn,

    After reading your story on giving birth I believe that your son is a special man to be given such a wonderful chance at life.

    I also love the information you provided about Japan, that was fascinating and I am also glad to be an American.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Fawn,

    The only thing that I can say that your son birth was a blessing and a miracle. The odds were against him surviving, but he made it through. Also, the information about Japan not giving women pay medications during birth is strange to me. I am happy to be living in the United States where women have access to medical care during their pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad your son did great. We read the same articles about other countries. I am glad I live in United States and I had my son in a hospital with the help of medication. Great post thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fawn-I find it interesting about the law in Germany about approved names for infants. With all the different names you hear of in our country, maybe we should have a "list" also! I am actually glad we do not have a law like that. People should be free to name their children what ever they wish.

    ReplyDelete